Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Haw Par Villa - the Absurdist's choice

I realise I never really understood the meaning of "WTF?!?!" until I went to Haw Par Villa.


I mean, I thought I did...


... But really, I didn't.


Like, seriously.

"hug meeeee!!!"

Ok, first of all, what's up with all the chimerical imaginings?

"hallo? ah, xiao jie ah? ... hallo..?"

Maybe their sculptor sniffed one Tiger Balm too many.

"take me home!!! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU..."

Well, I suppose mermaids are more typical.

(thought bubble:) god-DAMN we be some sexay bitches!

"baby, make love to me like it was the first time."

And then there are the moralistic tableaus with the tenuous grips on logic.

"OH MY SON!!! YOU HAVE BEEN SQUASHED FLAT LIKE A PANCAKE BY THE AH MAT DRIVING THE CAR!!!"

moral:
GAMBLING IS BAD!





"HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD HELP US WE ARE BEING RANDOMLY ATTACKED BY A PACK OF... of... um... sheep? uh... wait... maybe they're wolves... er... hmm. well isn't that interesting. ok, now we're confused."

moral:
LOYALTY IS GOOD!

(and by the way, they're wolves.)




"SO LONG SUCKERS!!! bet you're regretting not taking those reptile-balancing classes right about now! yahahahahaa"

moral:
BE KIND TO ANIMALS!




Okay lah, some do make sense.


Especially "in light of the current financial crisis" <-- (everyone likes saying this phrase.)


As my friend noted, Haw Par Villa also espouses the values underlying the Scandinavian welfare system:


And something for all you PSC scholars in the audience:


(I just have no idea why the captionist is so obsessed with the idea of running a grocery business.)

Alright, next post - the Ten Courts of Hell! a.k.a "I am so screwed."

2 comments:

louist said...

you said wolves, and i tend to agree based on the appearance of the animals, but the signboard clearly labels them as bears!

plat0nic said...

gee, they really have got some weird stuff in there..

oh hello, Happy Birthday!